530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstegram View Post
We ended up choosing the 530i over the 530e for few reasons:

1. We don't live in an "eco-friendly" country, so it can be difficult to find a charging station. On top of that, there are no real benefits to owning a hybrid/electric car here. No tax incentives of sorts.

2. The trouble of charging every night just to get peak performance.

3. The 530e is 200kg heavier than the 530i. That's a lot in spirited driving lingo.
I agree with your points. The 530e looks good on paper but to me this car (and this is true of every other hybrid as well), combines the worst of both worlds. The electric range is minimal, yet you are adding complexity and sheer weight to the package. Perhaps the 530e is aimed at a certain clientele but I just can't feel it.

To me you either go fill ICE or full EV, but the neither this, nor quite there middle ground is what makes plug in hybrids questionable vehicles for long term ownership. What a pain in the ass having to plug yet one more
Gizmo in your life!

Don't like the reduced fuel tank capacity in the e, the added weight of the batteries, the complexity of an electric motor nestled between the engine and transmission and the reduced trunk capacity. But hey that's me.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0