View Single Post
      08-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
Dattebayo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Squaresoft's recent games have all been crap, so I'm all for them remaking 7, 8, and even 9 which I also quite liked. Maybe they will get off their high horse and return to their roots a little now.

Don't forget Secret of Mana on SNES if you liked chronotrigger, very similar with a more real time fighting style.
I agree, with the exception of maybe FFXIV MMO which was pretty good for the genre. I am worried about the change in combat system which could be good as the gameplay trailer for FFXV seem okay.

The sad part of traditional JRPGs is that not many people in the current generation appreciate menu based RPG and want more action based instant gratification. With games like the FFXIII sequels, I honestly just watched YouTube play throughs for the story and felt no need to actually play it.

I still find the writing for the Square games are interesting but I am not really into the whole action based gameplay. From a FF fan for the past 24 years, I am honestly more excited about the new FF Dissidia game over any of their other title.

I also agree that Chrono Trigger is probably the best JRPG to date. I was sad when Square decided to shut down the Chrono Trigger Resurrection project. Hopefully one day they will remake it, all though I don't think it is very likely it would be made to what I expect in the current demographic and market of video games.