View Single Post
      02-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Question Windows 7

Maybe I missed the thread (and searching didn’t narrowing things down much), or maybe I am the only idiot who was still running Windows 7 when it reached EOL in January, but wondering what others have done and / or any advice.

Microsoft seems to be pushing new PCs rather than updating to Windows 10. I’m guessing they sell Windows 10 either way and don’t want to hear complaints when people update older machines...

Admittedly my laptop is probably close to 5 years old but had pretty good specs when ordered and works fine for me. It is a Lenovo W550S, Intel Core i7-5600 @ 2.60GHz, 8 MB RAM currently running Windows 7 64-bit. I use it for (Office 2013) Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Quicken, Acrobat and Chrome. Not much else. No gaming, photo editing, video, etc. It has only a 500 GB SSD but I store everything on DropBox anyway and only sync what I need to access most frequently.

On one hand I really don’t want to spend the money on another laptop, new MS Office, etc. when this is working fine for me. On the other, I know I need to do something about Windows 7. Pain of upgrading to Win 10 vs. cost of new laptop.

I know there are some IT guys here. Please let me know your suggestion on path forward and anything I might need to worry about if I go the upgrade to Windows 10 path (machine not good enough, difficult upgrade / need to wipe clean and reinstall everything?, problems with Office, etc.). TIA.

Last edited by RickFLM4; 02-26-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0