View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #1478
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that, even with early N55s, unless you're looking for power over 400whp, and even that is started to get negated when adding aftermarket turbos, the later N55 forged crank, etc. Outside of the obvious reliability advantage, the N55 feels better and sounds better than the N54, but I only have mine tuned to around 360 whp. Also, the N55 had better cooling in the block.
No issues with carbon build up because of the revised PVC system, far more reliable fuel injectors with no need for injector coding on replacement, more reliable coil packs, no issues with the HPFP, no issues with wastegates, and far less turbo system complication/hoses/vacuum systems. The N55 still has the other common issues though like water pumps, OFHG and valve cover gasket leaks, and oil pan leaks. Early N55s also had issues with rod bearings and I think the change to the S55 rod bearings was the driver with that.

Back on topic, turbo access on the Supra is wide open. Turbo replacements now take a couple of hours because of the lack of an external exhaust manifold. It's all right there once you remove the airbox. It's so different (and easy) compare to the N54 and N55 which required a ton of time to remove and replace turbos.

Pure Stage 2 turbo, tune, and E30 and you're deep into the 10s. I do wonder about longevity of the ZF 8AT behind that kind of power and the cooling capacity of the radiator and water to liquid IC at those sort of power levels.