LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Well ID7 is the replacement of ID6 and most new BMWs are being switched to ID7.

I agree it is a joke but planned obsolescence at its finest.

ID8 will be out before you know it😉
I doubt BMW will take this route. For starters, BMW would really prefer owners to enjoy their iDrive system enough to subscribe to its extra features once their 3 year free period expires. If they don't keep it working then that's less likely to happen.

I jumped to BMW from Mercedes primarily because Mercedes seems to abandon their devices as soon as they are released. BMW seems to have their head on their shoulders tech wise. Tesla has a faster release cadence don't get me wrong, but when it comes to traditional automakers I think BMW is the best in this regard...

Back to my Mercedes. I purchased a 2014 C300 and within a year of being released they nerfed many features of its online platform (which included no free period at the time like they do now). They also replaced the phone app with 3 different apps that weren't connected at all. Each new version lacking features from the last. The system wouldn't work regularly for weeks at a time and there were zero updates to the in car system ever. Unless you paid for Map Updates. RTTI information came from Sirius as a separate subscription...

I don't expect BMW to add iDrive 7 Live Cockpit, for instance, to iDrive 6, but I expect BMW will be updating iDrive 6 for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 2