BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm
Caveat Emptor.

Since you had planned/considered transferring the lease when you assumed it in the first place you should have fully researched the process as well as the restrictions on it. If the policy was longstanding and commonly known it should have been easy to find out about.

I can understand BMW limiting this in some way. They have to process paperwork and run credit checks each time a lease is transferred which is not free. Not to mention the messy paper trail it leaves. Honestly, we are lucky they allow lease transfers in the first place. You are, after all, breaking a contract you signed agreeing to the full term of the lease. They have every right to tell you to pack sand.
I read everything I signed but this is beyond fine print. I don't think we ask what we assume obvious questions. Do we ask if we are allowed to sell a car later after we buy it too? Pretty fair for one to think that if a transfer is allowed in the first place, that a 2nd, 3rd will also be the case. This is especially when BMW charges $1800 CAD for a transfer. Definitely not free for the tranferees, but seems profitable for BMW. It baffles the mind why BMW does not want to make more money. I see 0 reasons. It's bad for themselves, bad for the customers and bad for potential customers (other manufacturers doesn't prevent this)

And a Google search turned up nothing regarding this policy. So this is definitely not commonly known. So far nobody with real insight or experience with a 2nd transfer have spoken up in this thread. A search thru the entire Bimmerpost with my poor searching skill turned up nothing either. So i don't think it's as if I looked at a brick wall head on and intentionally walk into it.

I guess no one else ran into problems with this and nobody ever needed a 2nd transfer? I am asking for solutions and insight (why) here. Bashing that I'm not a contract lawyer whom assumes every bad intention possible by BMWFS isn't quite the point. If you have no insight and probably never even went thru a lease transfer ever with BMW (and not even knowing about their very exuberant transfer fee); with the response purely to bash someone so you can feel superior, then I can say that is not a constructive response that is welcomed here.