02-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #65
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
Not to bring up a old thread but I just wanted to share my experience.
I had all intentions of purchasing a M340 later in the year and test drive one. I currently own my fifth Seven series and am tires of the larger sedan.
My wife's car was in the body shop due to my sister backing into it at Christmas and I was given a 330I for a few weeks.
I initially was impressed with the car but after a couple of weeks, the seats were uncomfortable and I really started to notice the plastics and missed the leather dash and upper door cards, soft close doors, power steering column, nappa leather and other luxury items. Dont get me wrong, it was a nice car and fun to drive but once that were off, I longed for the Seven. I switched it out for the 530I and immediately felt at home. The 530 is a four and was plenty of power but I will still get the 540I.
As far as engines, I would love the 550I but past experiences with the 8 and the length of time I keep cars now, I do not want to deal with the cost of maintenance. I believe BMW's strong suit is in the inline 6 and most of my driving is in traffic and I do not need the 550 but for bragging rights or to lose my license 😅. I am glad I had an opportunity to drive both cars for an extended time. Below is how I will build my car.
540I - Dark Graphite metallic
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
Dynamic Damper Control
M Sport Brakes
M steering wheel
Ceramic Controls
Heated Steering Wheel
Leather Dashboard
WiFi Hotspot
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Mocha Nappa
While I have not driven the new generation three, that is exactly how I feel every time I have gotten a three as a loaner. I have sat in a new one and feel the same way.

I'm a card carrying speed freak and have owned some fast sports cars. I have some very fast Sport bikes now that I run the back roads on. As much as I would like a 550, I agree that what I want now in a car is more luxury and less Sport.

I'm retired, and money is a factor. Money no object I would own a M550 and a Shelby GT350 (I still want a manual in a "fun car"). But money is an object, so I too am sticking with my 540 and like it so much that I may buy another.