pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Wish I had read this thread before my track night last night. I was using my brand new RS4's. I had done a track event on my MPSS, and even with the fronts at 38psi cold, the rollover was really trashing them out. So, I was a bit paranoid about starting with lower (<35psi) pressures on these new tires.

So, for this event I started with 35psi cold all around. Hot pressure at the end of the session was around 46psi. After reading this thread that's obviously way too high. (My mind is so numb after the session I keep forgetting to hit the display to check/record the tire pressure temp. Need to get better at that. The one time i remembered I was amazed the fronts were still at 170° after being off the track 10 minutes.)

I did chalk the tires, and was checking that and the little triangle markers on the side of the tire. This is a picture of the right front, the worst, at the end of the day. You can see a bit of the chalk still left on the ridge below the triangle, and some very light scuffing, so I was occasionally getting some rollover. But the wear triangle had very little wear.
Attachment 1825840
The chalk wear was similar across all tires, but the triangle was almost untouched on the rears, and less on the 'track inside' side of the car.

So, even though the chalk was scuffed off, does the very light triangle wear indicate I had the pressures too high? Would a too high pressure cause an overall loose feeling from the tires?
The highest I saw mine today was 199 degrees F. I think I'll have to lower my pressure a little bit too based on this thread.

I was lowering pressure all day and think I ended at about 40 hot. The tires sounded like they were rolling, but they basically looked exactly like yours. Maybe a hair closer to the triangle

And yeah tires seemed to stay hot for a long time.
Most likely the pressure is not the issue but the lack of camber

Rs4s will do better than pss as they have stiffer sidewalk but you won't be able to prevent them from rolling by just raising psi and raising the psi will make them greasier. Those should run 34-35 hot
Appreciate 0