03-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #199
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Yep, 3cm here as well. The 2cm look very "builder grade" to us. Plus we have a cantilevered section that hangs out over an eat in bar and we didn't want to have to load up the underside with support brackets.

I wonder if the granite installer created a crack when drilling into the top and the metal bolt expanding and contracting with heat over time just caused that crack to come to the surface and spread? Natural stone is a finicky thing!
The person who fixed the first crack told us that when there is a small section of granite (such as 2cm cut out to fit behind the sink), installers insert metal into the granite (I have no idea how) to support it. If they don't let it dry completely when installing, or leave another crack where water can get to it, it eventually corrodes and sits (wet) against the granite, leading to cracks in the granite.

We bought the granite in 2002 (along with everyone else at the time) - it was / is our first house and one of the first things we did to it. We wanted to replace the formica counters before we moved in. (It is a great house that had some crappy builder-grade finishing details and previous owners didn't really do any upgrades.) We got it from Home Design (or something like that), which Home Depot used to own but subsequently shut down. They subcontracted it out to ???? I had no idea there was 2mm vs. 3mm or that there was any potential for something to rust and crack the granite. Learn stuff along the way...
DETRoadster11462.50