View Single Post
      04-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #211
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Good Lord, it's finally done! My wife and I have been remodeling our kitchen since Christmas break. Here we are, exactly 4 months later and we finished it off last night.

The house is a 1965 mid century modern. Our goal was to update and modernize the kitchen while retaining some of the 1960s style. Updates include:

- Floor
- Refinished cabinets
- Quartz counter tops
- New appliances
- Gas for the range (old one was electric)
- Partially removed wall
- New sink
- Lighting
- Paint
- More outlets

We did all the work ourselves, with the exception of running the new gas line and the counter tops.

The original plan was to gut the cabinets and replace with new. My wife really wanted to sand down a door or two to see what was under the dark brown stain and years of abuse. I told her it was a waste of time. Turns out it was totally worth it. It's all bookmatched walnut! Score one point for her. We took the next month laboriously sanding down the doors, drawer fronts, face frames, and cabinet bodies. Everything got 3 coats of satin oil with sanding in between. Inside the cabinets were just basic plywood so we painted those.

Here's the Before / After. The "Before" pics that show the cabinets above the peninsula are super old. They are the photos from when we toured the house when it was on the market. Those upper cabinets came out about 5 years ago, so actually, this remodel has been a work in progress for 5 years. Ha!

Before 1

After 1

Before 2

After 2

Before 3

After 3

Before 4 (Floors are already updated in this shot)

After 4

Cabinets Before

Cabinets After

Floors Before

Floors After

Sink Before

Sink After

100 Year old reclaimed walnut slab

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Finally Done!
Appreciate 7
RickFLM410981.00