View Single Post
      11-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #41
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVincent View Post
Update... I wrote to Pirelli and asked about the warranty and indeed as many have stated here, there is a warranty.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty

So here is the kicker which really aggravates me and I wrote back to Pirelli and also to BMW Consumer relations.

When I noticed the screw, I called my selling BMW dealer and another BMW dealer. Both said the exact thing - as per BMW policy, they don't repair run flats. I was also not advised of any Pirelli warranty. The only option by both dealers was to replace at a ridiculous cost for the rear P Zero which is a 275/30-20.

Now, Pirelli did elaborate and say that because I plugged the tire and a patch from the inside was not done, the warranty is void. So in essence, Pirelli's warranty can be printed out and used a toilet paper because the dealers didn't offer a patch repair since all run flat repairs are against BMW policy, the dealers at least in my case didn't know about the warranty.

Of course, I didn't know about that warranty as well. Wasn't mentioned when I purchased the car and there was no literature that was provided with the owners manual or otherwise. If I didn't post on this board, I would not have known. It is a great warranty if I knew when this occurred and had the printout to shove in the dealer's face.

So instead, I plugged the tire. Ignorance on my part? Sure. But I wouldn't imagine a warranty would exist that would cover a screw and not just be limited to manufacturer defect.

Basically and I mentioned this in my response to Pirelli and email to BMW Customer Relations... there is a terrible disconnect or lack of communication between BMW and their tire supplier, Pirelli. Both at the point of sale since I have nothing that was provided to me that states anything about the Pirelli warranty and the service departments who are clueless as well. Or the service departments do know about it and are deceitful hoping the customer was not informed like me. Then they get to charge over $500 for a new tire. Yes, it is less if obtained from Tirerack or similar.

I am not holding my breath on a favorable response and will most likely replace all Pirelli tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non run flats. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S ZP are their run flats which I don't want at all. Will do more research. I will need a spare tire kit as well. A big expense overall but lesson learned, I will have a better ride and if and when I get a screw in a tire again, it can be repaired unless too close to the sidewall. Will also get a road hazard policy. I declined the BMW road hazard at purchase because it was extremely expensive because it included the wheels. Couldn't get tires alone. And the wheel warranty only included damage that would render the wheel unsafe and not curb rash. Curb rash is not a concern. I don't hit curbs.
This is trash. Insist that the dealer replace the tire for free at this point. They gave you wrong information that they knew was wrong and it caused you to patch the tire.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0