03-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #31
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Attachment 2021842

I have this one by a German company that says it is safe for tire pressure monitors. I used it for my 335d sport when switching to non-runflat Michelin PSS's but haven't tried it for a flat yet. I also carry a flat repair kit that I have never had to use.

Most of my flats occur around the home base so I can often just remove the tire in the garage and bring it to the tire shop.

For $150 I would order the kit from BMW if I was able to. I'm on the fence on whether to use RFT's or not since one time I did drive about 120 miles on a bad blowout that ended up ruining the wheel also (I know, they are for 50 miles or less). This brings me to think that only a spare tire kit would work should I need to drive long distances away from "civilization."

PL

Similarly, all the flats I have ever had have been from a slow leak caused by a nail or screw. I drove all the way to Pinehurst in my E350 after picking up a nail on the way, filling up the tire with my electric pump each morning. Played golf for a week, filled up the tire and drove all the way back to Texas. Then had Discount Tire repair the tire. I realize catastrophic failures do occur, but they are rare in my experience. I, too, am on the fence about my next tires.....Michelin Run Flats, or PS4S go flats. Still some time to decide, and I have my pump, Dynaplug repair kit, and Slime kit. Very similar in function to the BMW Mobility Kit. Having just suffered my first sidewall bulge from a pothole, I wonder if go flats are less likely than run flats to have catastrophic sidewall damage, and therefore safer?
Appreciate 0