View Single Post
      04-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
Trex
Sport Geezer
Rep
Drives: X1, F10, G80 (6 MT)

DaveO - you're right and it's not fair to try and compare what is going on in the Z4 trunk and what will have to take place in an E90 trunk should there be a folding tintop. The Z4 is similar to the Z3 in that there is a well where the top folds down into. The Z4 has a small knob-controlled shelf in the trunk that can flip up for more trunk space when the top is up, but I just leave it down all the time because there is enough room for what I need with it that way and then I don't have to remember whether the shelf is up or down when I put the top down because the top won't go down if the shelf is up. Got that? main difference between the Z3 and the Z4 is that the Z3 needed a cover over the cloth top when it was down and that cover had to be snapped on and snapped off. The Z4 has the front section of the top in a canvas covered hard material that, when it is down, forms the basis of a "cover", eliminating any need for a snap-on/snap-off cover (of course, it leaves the sides of the holding well exposed and very un-finished looking).

I just had a revelation as I was typing this up. BMW already has experience with a semi-hard top cabrio in the Z4. That front section of the Z4 that I just described above might be the basis of a folding hard top for an E90 cabrio. Check it out the next time you're at a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0