View Single Post
      02-29-2024, 04:26 AM   #55
sproyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 (2019)

Happened to my 2019 G31 also, kept on street in UK < 30K miles

I don't really have the time to replace this myself so lived with the sporadic error pop-up for a few months. As another poster has said, very annoying on the displays particularly when it replaces the ODO - poorly thought out design.

Anyway car is in with a main BMW dealer for a service today and I raised it at the desk. They quoted £250 incl. VAT for parts and labour including taking down and replacing the headlining which is the OEM recommendation to avoid any creasing. However the dealer said they can replace the battery more cheaply by completing a less labour intensive job - but outside the strict BMW OEM directions - which came in at closer to £150 incl. VAT... I accepted in order to save the hassle of DIY. They also said they need to digitally clear the code after which could explain why some others who did the DIY battery replacement are still having errors.

I asked the Dealer if they could just kill the code completely and let the battery go dead - but they couldn't (which I understand from a main dealer's liability perspective).

Just putting this out there as there was someone who said they were quoted £1K! This is an absolute PITA piece of maintenance especially if it has to be done every several years for something you'll likely never use (and I don't mean like airbags I mean like more likely you will call emergency services from your mobile if in a crash). My BMW dealer agreed saying other customers had also complained about it and it was common for the battery to die just out of the 3yr warranty window.
Appreciate 0