02-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I believe it still would cause a shift back toward sedans. The US market drives a lot due to the size of the country so if prices went from $2/g where they are now to $4/g or $5/g where they have been in the past you'd see a swift shift back to sedans.

The only thing that could slow that shift back would be more electric SUVs either as full BEVs or PHEVs to keep the fuel costs down.
Fuel prices certainly play a role in this equation but I don't think it's the only contributing factor.

SUV's are the modern station wagon and people like their flexibility. Our roads also contribute to the desire to move to something that sits higher. I can't tell you how tiring it is to try and avoid potholes, high curb stops (avoid damage to air dam) and other obstacles while driving a sedan. SUV's definitely provide some peace of mind in that category.

PHEV's seem like a good option for fuel savings but people like myself who spend $90k to $110k on a car are not always thinking about saving $200/year on gas (or what ever the savings is on a PHEV). People are either making an environmental statement or want to be part of something grander (move to the future of personal transportation). Personally, I'm past the PHEV idea especially if it means sacrificing acceleration or performance. However, I'm willing to make the tradeoff of going to a BEV that has V8 level torque at the expense of weight gain.

The shift to SUV's has been a slow but measurable move and from my travels to various countries in the EU and Asia, I don't think it's a phenomenon that is unique to North America.
Appreciate 0