Mthusiast
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Garage List
2006 X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2020 M4 Competition  [0.00]
2001 740i  [0.00]
2006 M Roadster  [0.00]
I gave my OEM to a friend, who was successful in installing it, and I removed mine myself. The hardest part of installing would be figuring getting the wire into the glovebox properly. The unit itself required that you re-wire some pins on the factory wiring harness, but if you're handy, it's not too much hassle, and is generally plug-and-play. There's a bimmerfest post somewhere with the details. Mine wasn't really mounted, just kind of layed inside the dash.

I also installed my intravee, and I will be honest, it wasn't easy, and i have installed many fully custom car stereos. I drive a Z4MR, and the trunk is very tight, and it's a bit difficult to get the trunk carpet out to a point where you can actually get to the CD changer wires in the trunk. I also spent a great deal of time fiddling with it before I realized I'd have to completely remove the OEM unit before I could use the intravee (my dumb fault), because of the wiring harness "hack" that it uses. Plan on alot of blind feeling, poking, pulling, etc in order to get it done and mounted somewhat securely. My ipod connector goes through a hole i cut in the CD changer blank and my ipod is velcro'd to my console door. (see my other recent post on this). If you can get the trunk carpet conquered, the install is trivial. In a coupe or non-M, this would be -much- easier.
Appreciate 0