View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

My X4 1000km review...The Good, The Bad, The Surprising

Hi all finally reached the 1000km milestone and first scratch so my car is fully baptized here is my review. The X3/4 forum has been valuable in me understanding the car and hope this wil also help someone.

Firstly when choosing I always wanted the X3 and joined this forum due to this until the X4 was announced and was dead set to wait -->>> http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521361

Along the way the Macan came had a brief moment of weakness here -->>> http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038394 but decided on it over Macan due to
  1. I like the X4 look better, very unique looking and I always like different and loved the X6 but found it too big and too ostentatious.
  2. Tech way better ie Gadget and Gizmos
  3. Performance and handling gap too small to make a difference for me, I ain't no Boy racer.
  4. The Macan was cramped inside, X1 size comes to mind
  5. Looks like a Cayenne which Everyone has and people can't differentiate so no stand out appeal.

My options on my N20 over the nice standard features
  • Comfort Acesss
  • Power seats
  • Xline
  • HIFI Stereo
  • Surround Cameras
  • Beige Leather

Option I regret not taking
  • Lights package
  • Driver assist

The likes
  • Drives and handles like a dream yet I have no VDC.
  • In Melbourne red and beige interior it's stunning and quite a head turner, I get some honks and kudos quite a lot.
  • DRLs are very bright everyone wonder which Beemer it is in fact my SA gotten calls asking which Bimmer is that for the X4 is still rare and exclusive.....at least for now.
  • I have enough Torque to leave 95% of the cars on the road in the dust with my N20, don't need more power.
  • My fav option, Surround view Cameras and HIFI systems which rocks, best stereo in any car I have owned, not skipping that option ever again!

Dislikes
  • After seating in the Macan, the X4 seats are a joke, there not bad but BMW need to up their game for everyone else has ie Merc, Audi, Porsche and bring some of the 5 series level luxury to 3/4 level, sat in new X5 comforts seats and they were wow!
  • Tiny idrive controller for non Nav option, Looks like a toy!
  • Old cluster if no Nav also, I hate BMW doing this to us, why not let me order it without being forced to take Prof Nav which is a waste.
  • Automatic tailgate is a liability, cause of my first scratch and paint chip.
  • No dual exhaust like the X6.
  • No LEDs on indicators etc, really BMW?
  • Beige interior higher maintenance than expected, still worth the look.
  • Start stop can be annoying.
  • The Consumption figures are a lie.

Surprises
  • Rear visibility not as bad as I thought , I am used to it and the Surround Cameras are a must for this car, wifes 1 series rear is worse.
  • In N20 form it's so quiet, the soundproofing is amazing, was not too happy at first, but why do I need a large exhaust note, enjoying the quietness and my HIFI sound.
  • The Runflats are pretty forgiving compared to the old, ride actually more cushy.
  • With 18" rims with regular suspension ride is not chattery or stiff on bad roads.
  • Comfort Access lights on the handles are so nice when they light at night and rear dome light is so cool at night.
  • Bluetooth radio is now standard with USB 6NH.
  • Copper trim look like dark mahogany contrasts the Beige well ordered without seeing it.

Concerns being addressed by dealer under warranty
  • Slight rattle on the center piano black trim
  • Front seat already creased, WTH?

So who is the X4 for?

"If you think a 3 Series wagon is too carlike, an X3 too much like a boring SUV, a 3 Series Gran Turismo practical but not sporty enough, a 4 Series Gran Coupe sporty but not practical enough, and you definitely don't want to drive a 3 Series sedan like everyone else, then the X4 is the perfect vehicle for you." http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#__federated=1

So very happy for now however BMW need to up their game, waiting to see what the 2nd Gen Macan brings, if they sort the Tech and cramped interior it maybe my very next car if Bimmer continue with the same trend of giving Series 3/4 lower grade seats and materials unlike Series 5 and above.

PS
NOT gotten time to take photos, I will leave this placeholder teasers and update later but wanted to post review in the interim.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bimar; 12-21-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 1