Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I know there's a Mexican restaurant in Hamilton Ontario that's used containers.
Thanks for the info. Now the real question is whether or not they serve some horrible bastardized version of Mexican Poutine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
These container homes are pretty cool, I have definitely looked into them before. Good luck on the venture and look forward to seeing your first one.

Yeah I'm sure other states are way more lenient but from what I saw about building a container home in CA it was kind of pointless since the building codes and stuff are ridiculous. Pretty much have to frame up the whole container which at that point why not just build an actual regular wood framed house.
The head of the planning and zoning committee is my fraternity brother. We will work closely to educate him, the department and his inspectors which should reduce the learning curve and cut through any red tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
This is uber cool - please keep us posted.
Thanks! Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Most of the larger shipping containers are insulated already. I spent years living in these in the military, one of our checkpoints also had one that we worked out of. In Afghanistan, we lived out of them, showers, and all. If you want to sign on a network engineer as well, I'm always available. I'm in the Des Moines area.
Awesome information! I will PM you as we get closer to chat a bit though Des Moines is a bit of a long commute to Louisiana!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Long ago and far away in my previous life I worked for a foreign freight forwarder. Steamship lines at the time were apprehensive about shipping to certain African countries (don’t recall if east or west Africa) because people were stealing or not returning the empty containers and living in them. Obviously they were just living in the shell of the steel container. Who would have thought this could be done. Great idea and opportunity for gentrification and affordable housing.
Thanks! It's amazing how many of these containers are in existence. Since I've been doing the research, I've tried to put a number on them but it's clearly a fools' errand. For the affordable housing venture, we are attempting to get both the land donated by the city and the containers donated by many different organizations. The lower we can keep the hard costs, the more affordable the housing can be for the families. We have a unique opportunity with the revitalization pice: We can actually work to keep families in the area and not price them out of the market. It will be a win win and allow a blending of new and vital energy into neighborhoods without destroying the history of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Very interested - right now we're working on a project/challenge called the Solar Decathlon with some friends from school, and our design is very similar to the whole concept of a self-sufficient container home (net zero design is the objective).

If I remember correctly a team from Netherlands(?) built a lego-like structure using containers/something very similar to containers a few years ago for solar decathlon. I'll PM you if I find it

Also, maybe I'm not the one to say this to you but look into modular construction past just shipping containers. The industry is heading that way and it's very promising - Skender for example has a few prototypes of modular homes. Their chief design officer especially has a very big hard on for modular construction.

Let me know if you guys are hiring interns
Thanks for the update Pickle! It's good to be posting outside of the Dating Thread!

There are quite a few fantastic designs from Europe and they definitely provide a guidepost for the team. I do love the modular construction and think it has it's place. I think the two design theories exist to complement each other. I like the recycling and sustainability achieved using the containers. Speed of construction is an advantage both share as well as ultimate flexibility.

PM me if you get any additional information or place it up here! Thanks!
Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3