08-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #13
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong here, but to me it looks like F90 M5 standard brakes are the blue caliper M Sport type. Now, the standard rotors there might be dimpled, or not, can't tell. (BMW offers optional carbon ceramic brakes for M5, I guess for those folks who have money to burn.)

Therefore, I don't see how would standard M5 brakes be better than standard M550i brakes, as they are both the M Sport design, that is, if I am right about M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong here, but to me it looks like F90 M5 standard brakes are the blue caliper M Sport type. Now, the standard rotors there might be dimpled, or not, can't tell. (BMW offers optional carbon ceramic brakes for M5, I guess for those folks who have money to burn.)

Therefore, I don't see how would standard M5 brakes be better than standard M550i brakes, as they are both the M Sport design, that is, if I am right about M5.
The m5 standard brakes might look similar to m sport blue brakes but they are 6 piston instead of 4 and use 395mm rotors vs 374mm on the m sport ones. The standard m5 brake pad is larger in area and the pad compound should also be a lot stronger and more fade resistant than the ones that come with blue or red brakes. It is actually a pretty huge upgrade and might actually be overwhelming if you don't also get wider front tires.
Appreciate 2