View Single Post
      08-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #944
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

To the poster who said the Supra has 'equitable performance to a Cayman S': NOT. I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Anyway ...

TMC isn't the largest automaker. It's one of the largest automakers. Right now, TMC, VW AG and Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi are basically neck-and-neck. GM and Korean Hyundai aren't that far behind, either ...

... which brings me to my point: BMW needed Toyota. Toyota did not need BMW. Yes, Toyota knows what it is doing -- and that hasn't been building world-topping high-performance sports cars since the days of, well, pretty much ever.

I've said this in several other places on this forum and others: the only reason Toyota races is for trickle-down benefits for its consumer products. This has been plainly stated in the company's mission statements since the 1950s. Why does that matter regarding the Supra? Toyota's recent major racing involvement includes NASCAR, WRC and WEC Hybrid/Hypercar. That's it -- nothing even remotely related to conventional sports cars.

That speaks volumes. Volumes.

I'm as disappointed as anyone in the new Supra. But it's really a BMW. Why? Because that made the most consumer and fiscal sense for Toyota. Period. End of story.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00