08-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #17
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Yes, but this device is for cars that have wired Carplay not wireless Carplay. BMW's only do wireless CarPlay. I totally get how this will worked with wired cars, I actually used a wireless dongle in another car that had wired CP.

But, when you plug this into our USB port, nothing is going to happen. On wired CP cars, it launches CP.

It says all over their site that this is for cars that support wired Carplay. Trust me, I hope I am wrong, I would love to have a box that broadcast an Airplay connection and have my phone screen mirror to it and have it show on the screen. I bet this box does put out an Airplay signal, just can't figure how it will get to the screen from the USB port that does not support CP.
You may be right in the sense that right now the box is not compatible anymore. It uses to be even with 2021 BMWs, but with latest updates it's not anymore (probably some changes from BMW).

You can read this also in YouTube comments: "2021 bmw worked fine now it just boots up and goes away any fix around that . thanks" "same here" etc...

If it stopped to work because BMW switched to wireless CarPlay or other reason I don't know.

What I'm 99% sure is that BMW still supports wired CarPlay. This is easy to test: just disable wifi (used for wireless CarPlay) and connect cable, if it works it means it's using wired CarPlay.

So as long as there is a way to "fallback" to wired CarPlay (plugging in via USB), there is a way for the box to connect to iDrive screen through CarPlay interface.

Again, this used to work up until a few months ago, then stopped working for latest BMW updates, and now they have in the work an updated version that should work even with latest updates, but also provides a more modern Android 11 OS, as well as an HDMI port for mirroring.

As soon as it's available I will buy one and test it :-)

The reseller confirmed me they are testing right now a version compatible with 2022 BMW and should be available to buy in 2 months.
Appreciate 0