03-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgaines View Post
Not sure what to do. I have a 530e for 17 months, I live in NYC and park on the street. Had a drive train error show up one morning, take the car in and find the wiring harness in the engine has been chewed. Car gets fixed. Park it overnight, same error pops up the next day, more rodent damage. Had engine bay steam cleaned, used some internet remedies: peppermint oil, mothballs and dryer sheets. 1 month later the car gets chewed up again. Dealership smiles and thanks me for my business as each repair is about $1200-1800. I don't see any way to keep this car protected. I feel that a car attacked so many times has something which is attracting these rodents and that it is not being addressed during the repairs or perhaps the wiring harness is particularly tasty. I drive the car at least 5 days and often 6 days a week. On the waiting list for a garage in my building but it's been 2 years already. Any ideas on getting BMW to get me into a different model or some way to protect the wires?
Thanks!
Thank EU politicians and regulators that force automakers to use electrical wiring that is soy based thus making your vehicle's cables into one tasty treat to critters:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hink-is-tasty/

You may have this issue with any new car to be honest. Can you pony up the cost of parking on another critter free location?.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1