View Single Post
      11-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrambles297
So far, my car's oil consumption has been as follows.

1,230 miles: run-in service (but I noticed that the oil was not even nearly filled to max - the service advisor says that they put in the required quantity)

1,730 miles: 1 litre (but note above - I think it only actually used 2/3 of a litre over the 500 miles, but still ...)

2,530 miles: 1 litre

3,700 miles: 1 litre

4,600 miles: 1 litre

5,995 miles: 1 litre

But, it's clear to me that the car is very sensitive (as you'd expect) to the type of usage, which has to be judged by operating hours. A large proportion of my car's operating hours have been spent in appalling London traffic. Over the past 1,400 miles, I've done a bit more motorway driving and the car's oil consumption has dropped correspondingly.

All in all, I'm not surprised (and am definitely not complaining) at the rate of oil consumption given that I don't use Stop/Start and have that big v8 sitting for long periods in traffic.

I love this car! It brings a big smile to my face every time I see it or drive it.
Your consuming oil at a rate of about 1,000mi/quart. It's a lot. I've owned a Porsche that consumed 800mi/quart, so I understand how annoying it can be.

You might be getting some (or a lot) of turbo blow by (leaking oil through turbos), thus the reason your M is consuming so much oil. What year is your M?

Just a guess though.. there was a SIB on this issue for the N63TU (not the S63TU).

There is no SIB on the S63TU for anything related to engine oil consumption.

Last edited by avlnch; 11-26-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0