04-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
Anyone notice how Dinans numbers for the stock 340 and 340 with mppsk are basically the same?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
Not really what I was asking. They dyno both the stock 340 and the 340 mppsk and both cars have pretty much the same numbers. It's as if their dyno shows no difference between the stock 340 and one with mppsk
Part of the issue is the vast majority of folks are seeing those 2 charts and assuming they are the same car. They are not. The numbers for the MPPSK and non-MPPSK cars are completely different vehicles (440i w/ MPPSK and a 340i to be precise). Not all cars are going to be identical in performance so there is some of that at play.

More importantly though is when you look at simply the peak numbers they are very similar between the MPPSK and non-MPPSK cars. However when you look at the entire curve you can see that the MPPSK car is running a decent amount stronger then the non-MPPSK car, particularly in the low end. Its only at the upper end of the RPM band that the 2 sets of numbers become more and more similar. This basically is the same thing we have seen over 3 generations of MPPK/MPPSK cars in that there is a decent TRQ gain but minimal HP gain with the package. Essentially low end power is what you are getting with MPPSK (TRQ). This explains why people feel something as you are feeling the increased TRQ down low even if the HP up top isnt really there. Its been pretty consistent though every time we have measured one of these cars.

Perhaps how the Dynapack measure's equates differently in the grand scheme of things versus how a Dynojet does w/ MPPSK but ultimately these are the numbers we saw in house. We aren't trying to claim something we are not making (hence why we list the factory rated numbers as well as what we measured as stock). It is what it is and if you choose not to believe them that is your prerogative.
Appreciate 0