View Single Post
      04-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
BikeGuy63
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i 2014 335i

540i 47K Miles Dumb Luck or Cause Effect

Ive been a BMW guy for 25 years. Owned multiple 3,5 and 7 series. In 2017 I purchased new a 540i G30. About 4 months ago the AC stops blowing cold air. Needs a recharge. Dealership puts die in the system and recharges it and send me on my way. Couple of weeks later I am back because the AC isn't working again. The only die they find is coming from the low pressure valve. So, they replace both. At the same time, I have the oil changed, the AC system pressure tested and the flex disc replaced. Tech is test driving the car and starts making noises and blowing smoke. At the same time they also find a coolant expansion leak. The engine noise and smoke is supposedly due to an impending PCV valve failure. They are claiming that they need to replace the valve cover (PCV is part of it?) for $3500. This leads me to the following questions.
1. Is iit just dumb luck that the PCV and expansion tank leaks fail after they do the above service items or is there anyway their could be a cause and effect.
2. Do you really need to replace the valve cover to replace the PCV valve?
3. Do I have any recourse with BMW? The car has timed out the warranty but not mileage.

Thanks everyone for helping me out

Last edited by BikeGuy63; 04-08-2023 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0