Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I then curious re this:

If I was the front car, I couldn't care less re circumstances beyond the car behind me that ended in my bumper. I mean, yeah I get that you got pushed or whatever, but it's you who pushed my car. Hence your insurance gets involved (doesn't mean gets to pay!), so the notion of not informing your insurance about the accident for the fear of rate increase is moot.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue. You could get everyone's insurance involved if you want to and call every single agent that works for each company, it doesn't matter. What's likely going to happen is if the middle car was stopped and got rammed by the last car, the middle car's insurance will claim they are not liable anyway due to the impact being caused by the other car. I've been on calls with 4-5 different companies at a time so they can hash out who takes most of the responsibility. The bottom line is read YOUR policy so you know what YOU have to do. Every company handles things differently. There is also the case of if the front car feels 1 or 2 impacts and discusses it in a recorded statement that can change the liability also. You can get really thick in the weeds with this stuff depending on witnesses, cameras, and other evidence present at the scene. I've had claims where people got completely screwed just because video evidence showed they failed to act in a manner that would avoid an accident according to the insuring company.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Theodore672.50