05-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

my first severe pothole impact with MP4S on forged wheels

Hello guys,

As some of you might remember, I have a set of BC Forged wheels and MP4S tires, ordered exactly to the specs of M235i 19" wheels&tires offered by Dinan (with 235/35 front and 265/30 rear). Yesterday - for the very first time since putting them on my car - I was unlucky enough to hit a very deep pothole with my right front wheel; the impact and trashing noise were so severe I was almost positive either the tire, or the wheel, or both couldn't possibly survive it (in fact, it was the most violent impact I ever had with any of my many cars during the 48 years of driving). Suspecting the worse (even though I didn't feel or hear anything abnormal with my steering wheel or the way my car was rolling after the hit), I pulled into the first city bus bay on my way in order to see what I was fearing the damage was - and to my great relief, I saw both the tire and the wheel at perfect order! Of course, such a superficial assessment in the middle of the heavy city traffic has not been enough, so I steered straight to my tire shop... The mechanic who knows me and my car took the wheel off the car and put it on the balancing machine to spin it and see how much it got out of shape - and to my disbelieve, the tire didn't have any visible damage (like a bulb or cut), and the wheel assembly rotated as if nothing ever happened - perfectly straight in both the radial and lateral directions...

What do you make of it? Was I simply lucky - or are the BC Forged wheels so much stronger than most other wheels (cause I'm 100% positive that were it the OEM 18" wheel, it would have broken, bent or both)... I realize it's still possible a bulb will appear on the tire with time, but am I right assuming that a forged wheel would either cracks or not - with any long-term hidden damage not highly probable?

Anyway: if it turns out after another 1,000 km or so that no visible damage develops, may I assume I'm good and safe? Opinions, please...

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD

Last edited by moldcad; 05-10-2018 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0