View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #202
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
There's no proof they are effective at containing something like COVID in the wider community outside of the medical setting. There have been plenty of medical studies done showing that surgical masks are marginally effective and/or the data is inconclusive when it comes to reducing the spread of a respiratory virus, whether from the person wearing mask or or vice versa in a hospital setting. It's largely why the WHO hasn't changed their stance on their mask recommendations (i.e., reserved for those in the medical setting or are sick). Given their minimal effectiveness in the worst setting (i.e., medical), it's largely why they aren't recommending them for use by the general public.

As for cloth masks, the data shows that they are ineffective because they seal even worse that a disposable paper surgical mask and the cloth threads void space is too large. A well known study actually showed that the use of cloth masks in a medical setting increased the risk of infection compared to surgical masks. This is largely why the WHO doesn't recommend cloth masks.

As someone that works in the OSHA/health and safety world, I think the CDC's recommendation of cloth masks for all is VERY dangerous and when it's all said and done, I believe they will have found out that recommending cloth masks to those not trained in using PPE will have actually created infections, not reduced them. Look at all the people out in public wearing these things. The majority of the masks are ill fitting, people are touching them constantly, and many have their nose exposed because they're so damn hot.

I believe the CDC's recommendation is founded in a legal basis and not medical science. Legal, you say? It's an easy fall back for government and business if someone gets infected and wasn't wearing a mask. They can simply say, "You should have worn a mask as recommended by the CDC" thus helping those entities in the event of a lawsuit.

Even more interesting is that the WHO only recommends 3 feet social distancing, NOT 6 feet.

I'm not a tin foil hat type of person and I'm especially not a right-wing conservative (I lean more towards Western European styles of gov). The CDC has been a joke throughout this thing. The WHO has it's own issues, but when it comes to masks and distancing, their recommendations are founded in science from a panel of international medical professionals and not a tiny subset like the CDC that is currently driven by fear, confusion, and throwing a dart at the wall.

If you wear a mask, I strongly suggest it be a surgical one.
Besides the people who are wearing them incorrectly/touching the masks/etc. can you elaborate why a mask in a public setting is worse than not wearing a mask? No the data says ____, but whats the theory before it?

Isn't containing a sneeze, as simple as containing a sneeze?
Appreciate 0