12-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
In a surprising change of plans, we no longer have fiber at our new construction out in the woods like we thought. While they did in fact run the fiber along with the underground electric, I found out that it is not connected to the fiber infrastructure. It is ran from the beginning of my lot and probably a half a mile in… but not actually connected to anything. They say it may be another couple years before they have that in place. Nice that it is future proofed, but not exactly what I was expecting when they told me they ran fiber

Reviving the thread almost two years later - anyone running it care to give feedback? 5G is a no go and other options are less than desirable. I like the idea of Starlink, but I’m not impressed with the vague descriptions and tiered offerings that seemingly are only in place to mitigate their lack of commitment to deliverables (Priority). Would love to hear from some actual users.

I’m home-based with Microsoft Teams calls/video/screen sharing a constant. A couple TVs will be streaming something throughout the day with wife/kids. No time for games, so I really don’t think that level of speed/latency is a driver. Just looking for consistent and no surprise bandwidth throttling. Relatively rural.
I mean if you don't have cable or something and can't use 5G I'm not sure you have much of a choice.

I have not personally used it, but it's very popular among RVers and I follow a few of them. Seems to be hit or miss mostly based on location. One thing to consider that I've heard a few people mention is that it apparently needs quite a lot of open sky to work properly. So if you have a lot of trees that may be an issue. It will probably get better as they keep adding more satellites but that's what I hear for now.
Appreciate 1