Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It’s the future of performance IMHO.

The EV motor allows you to counter balance the major negative of modern engines. Turbo lag. The M550i isn’t a slouch and I’m sure it delivers performance adequately, but you can feel is “building” its power as it charges the turbo to reach its performance peak. Adding an EV motor with instant torque to the mix allows you to assist that climb so the power delivery feels extremely smooth as it climbs up to the peak.

I’m sure the next M5 will have an EV motor and become a hybrid for this very reason.

Having driven my fair share of 530i loaners it is so clear driving between the two. The 530i I can hit the kick down and ask for maximum power from low speeds and you feel it lag and then once the turbo is ready and it pulls very well. Once it reaches that point the 530e and 530i very very even performance wise from my butt dyno. But that lag feels like it lasts way too long. Even with the 530e having a de-tuned version of the 530i engine…

And all that is even before you consider the other really nice extras. Like eliminating the problems of “cold starts” where the engine can be slowly brought up to temperature with the EV motor carrying the weight until it does so performance never feels low and you get a longer lasting engine as a result.

I’ll stop now
I totally see what you're saying and that'll be excited. I do hate my turbo lag, esp when I need to make a quick left turn or something from a standstill. I do love my gas engines, but I like the idea of having some electric power in there to assist with turbo lags, start ups, and mpg obviously lol
Appreciate 1