Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Then hell has officially frozen over haha. I know I've given you crap for a few years because sometimes I don't understand your logic even though I know you're clearly knowledgeable with cars, but I can't say I saw you liking an i3 coming. It's the anti-thesis of what you normally like in cars.

I know a lot of us on these forums are clearly very attached to our cars because we've put so much time and effort into them. But the question is, if you really think you're not going to be driving for a whole 2 years, why don't you sell them? I know clearly the E46 won't be going anywhere, but if the rest of them are just rotting away in a garage?

I have that back and forth with myself all the time. I've promised myself a one in one out policy with 4 cars currently. The Tundra, E92 M3 and Z4MR are not going anywhere, which leaves my E36 M3. Not 100% sold I absolutely want to get rid of it for an i3S when they dip under $20k in a few years, but let's see. If gas goes over $4 again, I might consider it more strongly because I don't have 1 fuel efficient car.
Why would I sell them? All of them, other than the i3, are appreciating at this point-- that's more than I can say for any other asset I own, recently. When this is over, they'll all still be ready to go. None of them are particularly stock, so it's not like I could just rebuy them later. Plus, it's getting really hard to find nice condition, up to date on maintenance e39 M5s, etc.

Broken down car by car:
Suburban: probably should sell this, actually. 200 miles in the last 2 years
M3 coupe: clearly not going anywhere.
M3 wagon: one of our two family cars (other being the i3)
M5: my wife loves it, so I'm stuck with it either way. This is the car we own that's least to my taste (too big/torquey for me, really)
... I've actually been debating a quarantine project of building a 6mt e61 (wagon) M5...

The i3... some of it is very much what I like in cars, some of it is not.

Typical likes
2700 lbs
super low COG
Super stiff chassis
no turbo lag
small car with a practical interior

Things I don't like:
Space ship looks
no manual... though I don't think EVs would be better with a manual
EPS (though that's unavoidable in EVs)

I think I'm okay with it because the areas it deviates from what I normally like actually get me something in exchange. As in, I strongly dislike turbos, but there's also no payoff for me getting one. The aspects of the i3 that I dislike result in zero gas consumption and zero maintenance-- real, tangible benefits.

Also, since I changed jobs my commute kind of sucks... so I don't need full on dynamics. Our plan was to move out into the boonies this summer, which might have changed that... but that's on hold until this pandemic is over.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00