View Single Post
      03-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #16
LayZA55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO/SS F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim10 View Post
Sorry the late reply guys but thanks for all the advice! Sounds like I'll give it a shot and hopefully I don't screw it up. Also thanks for posting the instructions! I'll let you guys know how it goes...or how it doesn't.
Just attempted my install today. If you haven't done the install already, I can give some tips.
First, I thought maybe the hardest part was taking the spoiler off. It was difficult. I used the bondo spreader method in the IND video (with painter's tape) and it did take some time, but eventually was able to get it off.
The next part was actually the hardest part. There was a crapton of betalink or whatever glue is on there which was really hard to get off. It took a lot of time and very liberal applying of 3m adhesive remover. When I mean liberal, I mean you have to continue to spray it multiple times even in some small areas. After finally getting all the glue off (not an easy feat), I cleaned up the area with isopropyl alcohol.
After this dried, then I applied the 3m adhesive promoter. It was barely 60 degrees (minimum for the promoter) and I've been waiting for a good time to put this on for a few months now.
Managed to pull back the 3m double sided tape in a few areas as suggested in the instructions and IND manual. Then, it was just lining it up as best you can and pulling off the tape. Be careful not to apply too much pressure on the spoiler as I snapped off the tape a couple times but was able to save it, but pull off slowly and it'll be ok. I then taped it down with some painter's tape and it's currently sitting for now. I didn't realize initially and I wish I did, that the leading edge didn't stick onto my trunk very well and I had to go back and push down repeatedly. So I had to go back and apply pressure to the leading edge again and it seems to be sticking. Hopefully when I check on it again tomorrow, it'll be fine. I'll try and get some pics up of what it looks like afterwards. Wanted to take pics during the install, however, my hands were covered in the damn glue.

Just FYI: currently living in Long Island, but my wife and I will be interviewing for jobs in the next couple weeks in the Seattle area. Planning on possibly moving to Bellevue/Kirkland area this summer. GL with the install and lemme know if you have questions. Hope you find this useful .
Appreciate 0