08-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
in order for you to do it right... you need a body shop to plug the holes and touch it up. No need to get the entire bumper painted
A body shop may be willing to only paint where they fill, but they will re clear the whole bumper. I had a quote a couple of years ago from a very reputable dealer body shop to reprint a front bumper for about $700. That did not include any body work. Someone had put a fairly major scrape in the paint.

I bought some good quality rattle can paint and clear and did it myself. It took me several days to work it, rework it, wet sand it etc. I only painted the area that was damaged, not the whole bumper. When I was done I could see where I had done it, but nobody would have seen it unless they were specifically looking for it. BUT, I did not have to fill holes. I tried that many years ago on a steal tailgate on a pickup truck. I would not recommend it. You'll work on it for many days and never be happy.

I have faced the same delimna before. I would put plugs in it. Most people won't notice it, and it won't look like a do it yourself repair. It will just look like plugs! And yes, I have done that as well. It won't look any worse than the sensors.