View Single Post
      12-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Understood, but the point is that today's cars "should" be lighter based on material advances and technology. The fact that they are the same weight as something in the past has everything to do with all the added comfort, entertainment, and safety.

If you look at your Moto Guzzi V7 and compare it to 30+ year old Le Mans you will realize a 10% weight reduction. Yes, modern bikes have gotten way more competent, just like modern cars, but they have lost weight, sometimes significantly so. Why is this....because they don't have any of these items.

As I said, if you add up the nav, entertainment, air bags, etc...it will negate any weight savings that the car "could" of had. Aluminum suspension and engine components saved allot of weight to start. Crash safety improvements were primarily structural design changes based on computer modeling advances. A fairly significant amount of weight was shaved in these two areas alone. Door seals, brakes, and a long list of items that make the car better and solve the issues you discuss have been improved on and are now made of lighter and better materials.

Even my 30 year old E28(M30 I6) was 200+ lbs lighter than my M2 and was 13" longer, the same height, and ~6" narrower.

We should be further ahead.
Appreciate 0