View Single Post
      12-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
...Hmm, can anyone imagine an iM3 (all electric) with the following performance creds:

1) eAWD (..that's either 2 electric motors, or 1 motor per wheel
2 F/R Battery packs for 50/50 balance,..but one charge port!
2) 2.5 secs zero to sixty mph
3) 6-secs to 100mph!
4) 15-secs to 155mph!
5) 400+ mile range in ecMode(Economy Mode)
6) 350 mile range in Pn-Mode (Performance Normal)
7) 300 mile range in Ps-Mode(Performance Sport)

So, I doubt if anyone can imagine this,..just as no one imagined a electric car smok'n a high powered gas motor off the line, etc.

The 1st 100 years of the auto industry were exciting! However, the next 25-50 will be mind blowing!

How about this,...technology becomes some advanced,..and efficient to the point of,....What if 1 KW of power yielded 100 miles of electric range in a mid-size sedan! I can easily imagine all of this,...because we only went to the moon,...and beyond as a result of someone "imagining" that we could!
I expect it is easier than one would first imagine, in theory at least. As I understand it electric cars have far fewer parts, and power will be dependent on motor and battery rather than more and more components each trying to eek out a bit more power slightly more efficiently in traditional ICEs

I think the new Tesla Roadster won't be far off the performance figures you imagine. The range of course is unknown.

Battery technology (read capacity) and weight are the two hurdles I imagine BMW will have to overcome. The third will be improving steering (someone sent me an article on how Porsche have already done this (thanks)).

Merry Xmas
Appreciate 0