View Single Post
      11-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #28
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Well, curiosity got the better of me last night and I pulled one of the cartridges apart to see what's hiding inside and to examine ways to refill.

For those waiting for a reasonable and rational expose of why these darn things are so expensive - get ready for disappointment. There's actually nothing special about the scent cartridges whatsoever. They are essentially just a sponge bob square pants inside a fancy plastic housing. The most delicate part would be the small rubber seal around the opening. The chip at the bottom is obviously only used to carry the data for the label (i.e. the scent name appears in your iDrive). No mechanical or electronic components inside. There's no need for syringes or otherwise for refill. Just pop the top off and soak or replace the sponge bit with something you like. Just make sure you don't overfill (i.e. see any liquid draining from the cartridge if you invert it). The best approach would be to replace the sponge as the remainder in the old one will mix with whatever you're adding in on top.

I'm guessing that due to the very small liquid this thing holds, that the scents are eau the toilette or perfume type (i.e. reasonably highly concentrated). Perhaps someone will offer liquid refill for the scents at some stage.

P.S> Wear gloves! otherwise your fingers end up with a toxic dose of Golden No.2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0