10-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #22
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frzntax View Post
Ah, thanks for that vote of confidence. Nic is who I've been dealing with, and he is very knowledgeable and responsive so far.

Now that I have the sunroof noise issues resolved, I'm back into looking at this. Of course, another M550 has popped up for sale that has both DAP and DHP, and 10k lower mileage. I'd have to sacrifice the "luxury" seating package in mine (but that's not a major loss), however I'd be paying about $120 more a month (the money I'd put down is a wash for what I'd spend on the DAP retrofit).

I've seen various takes on DHP, some love it and wouldn't want to drive their M550 without it.. but at that monthly price difference, I'm thinking to still just go the retrofit route with my current vehicle (maybe easier said than done having not found a vehicle around here to test DHP). But then again I rationalize lower mileage and DHP MSRP of $3600, which I'd basically be financing for 30 months of owning the new vehicle - plus BMW approved DAP. Decisions, decisions.

Did you go ahead with it then ? I am in the same boat and have been working out the parts / coding required for ACC retrofit. I have parking assistant plus so already have the DSC Pump. I do not have any driving assistant packages at the moment. This might help you as well if you want to source the parts out yourself and then get these installed locally and then just get it coded locally/remotely.

All ACC sensor parts:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=66_0422

* I have managed to buy a used sensor off ebay with back bracket and front Radome (cover) for £210. Front cover is fairly battered up so bought a new one off ebay £35 so £245 altogether for the Radar. I have sourced the screws/rivets etc directly from BMW for £28.

Steering Wheel Buttons :

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_5358

* You need No: 2 for ACC only and No: 3 for Driving Assistant Plus. I have managed to buy a used steering wheel off ebay with the buttons for £110 and plan to resell it after replacing the buttons so might even out but going to worry about it later.

Front Grill:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4126

* You need No:2. I have managed to source it for £35 original BMW brand new off ebay.

Wiring Harness/Loom:

This is the trickiest part, there isn't a part number so most of the retrofitters are making the harness specifically for the car so the option could be is to just get wiring harness / remote coding option from the guys you are talking to already or get a local retrofitter to make the loom. From research following 2 connectors will be required :

I have ordered these from BMW for £18. But safer option is to buy the pre-made loom. I luckily know someone local who can make the loom, do install and coding + ACC sensor calibration for around £250.

As you can see parts above can be sourced for around £245+£28+£110+£35+£18 = £436 and final cost including labour + coding comes to £686 / $893 so half the price really. Although it has taken a lot of research specially finding someone who can install and code it for you but my aim really has been to get it done and document it so it can get easier for all others.

I have been side-tracked for the time being as looking at getting Driving Assistant plus retrofitting options as well. This will need 4 x new Sensors + Mirrors/control unit with blind spot assist functionality + Button Type 3 from the link above + FSCs for lane departure and lane change warning + wiring harness and a brilliant coder but it is work in progress at the moment . EleBest Pte have quoted €8000 for it . I believe it can be achieved for a lot cheaper but again someone will have to try things out before we can get to that point.
Appreciate 1