sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I have a 2014 SQ5, purchased early in the model's life, and now I'm ready to move on. At the time if you wanted something more than 300 HP in a mid size SUV your choices were SQ5 and Macan S/Turbo. The SQ5 was my pick and it's been a good car but I have had quite a few complaints about it over 4 years of ownership.

When the X3 M40i was finally shown I was not blown away by the looks but I do like it and the powerplant and driving dynamics are sure to be fantastic. Yesterday I had some time and my local Audi dealership had a few 2018 SQ5s in so I went to check it out and go for a drive. I was interested in the new chassis, engine, transmission (theoretical change), air suspension, and torque vectoring rear diff on top of standard 40/60 Torsen Quattro. Also, my 2014 didn't have a heated steering wheel option, so ya know the wife would like to have that too.

The new SQ5 is great. I came away much more impressed than I thought I would and if they had the build I want on the lot, I'd probably take one this week. It doesn't hurt that the lease residual is currently 64% (10k mi/yr), putting a loaded SQ5 about $90-100 per month less than a loaded X3 M40i lease. The new 3.0T and transmission were very smooth with tons of low end torque. Lag was there but minimal, shifts were smooth with fantastic rev matching in Dynamic mode, the engine/exhaust sounded so so good. The air suspension worked well and moves the vehicle up and down something like 4 inches. The ride was superb on 21" wheels. Brakes good, seats lovely, interior and digital dash fantastic, blah blah blah...

So to the point - TLDR. I think BMWs drive better than Audis but I really liked the new SQ5. I think the M40i will be a bit quicker (not sure that matters), but sadly I can't drive the new X3 until probably late October and the SQ5 leases cheaper which is a surprise. What do you guys think about the comparison of these two? They are going to be really competitive head to head.
You should try out a current X4 M40i just to get a feel. It won't be exactly the same, of course, but in the ballpark.
Appreciate 0