View Single Post
      10-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #21
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I don't know where I fall on this Great Oil Change Debate, but isn't it reasonable to expect that these visible particles are held by the filter? I mean my home furnace filter would catch stuff that size, why wouldn't the 06 BMW oil filter?
I can't answer the why, but I can reiterate that the filter definitely can't catch these particles - they're just too small. And it's not just the BMW filter; all new engines get this stuff in the oil. See especially motorcycle boards, where there are those who advocate an oil change after 25-60 miles (!) since this is when almost all of the metal particles are produced. As I understand it, the particles come from the cylinder walls, which are pre-scored with a cross-hatch pattern to faciliate this quick wear which ensures a perfect fit between the piston rings and the cylinder walls.

Now, it's possible that these particles that the filter doesn't catch are so small, that they are really harmless to the engine - that is to say, the particles flow through all the tiny cracks in the engine without causing any extra wear. If this is the case, it would be a good argument for leaving the initial oil in for 15,000 miles. However, I've never seen any argument from a reliable source that this is the case, so my position is still that an early change (1500 mi in my case) is worthwhile if you're keeping the car past the warranty period.