View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #96
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

One thing I don't see mentioned in here (unless I missed it) is the use of sponsored DRIP's as a wealth accumulation tool.

In short, if you invest in equities, many companies offer sponsored dividend reinvestment plans (DRIP) to registered shareholders. Instead of receiving dividends cash, they are reinvested by the transfer agent in the company stock, often at a discount (I've seen as high as 5%) from the trading price. The real advantage is the ability to accumulate through partial shares.

For example, if the stock is trading at $30, and the per share monthly (or quarterly dividend) is $.20 and you own a 100 share block, your cash dividend is $20. However, through the DRIP, you would receive .66 shares instead of the cash (and if discounted let's say @ 5% it would be .70 shares). Next month/quarter you would be paid the dividend on 100.70 shares and which would then be reinvested. The compounding effect over time is significant.

My father accumulated significant holdings through this method from initial small investments. Especially as stocks split because your plan holdings double too.

It is an investment strategy I am following as well. Computershare is one of the major transfer agents and the list of available DRIPs is here. AST is another, their list is here.
Appreciate 0