radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Sold all my expensive Canon gear and picked up a tiny Sony. Here are the results.

I've been shooting with Canon for like 10 years. I've been using a Canon 5D Mark II and III for most of those years and had quite the collection of prime L lenses. I don't know why, but I just felt like I needed a big change and was really interested in Sony's A7R camera. My canon lens collection is what handcuffed me to staying with Canon (and it wasn't a bad thing), but I really wanted to try something different.

So I sold all of my Canon gear and started doing research on which Sony camera to pick up. I settled on the a7r ii. Then I started researching lenses and realized I'd have to build up my collection all over again and those Sony Zeiss lenses are quite a bit more expensive than my L series lenses were. So what did I do? I just picked up a fixed focal length camera instead. Yup, I bought the Sony RX1R II. Yes it's expensive for a camera that you can only shoot at 35mm with and the battery life is HORRENDOUS. But man is it a joy to shoot with and it takes great photos.

I bought the original Sony RX1 way back when it was first released and I loved that camera as well, but the autofocus was so slow and unusable in low light. This version of the camera solves all the issues I had with the original aside from the battery life.

I absolutely love this camera. Sure there are times when I wish I could shoot at different focal lengths, but for 95% of what I shoot, I just make it work and I don't have to plan what lenses to take with me. I took this camera out with me to the Pirelli World Challenge at Circuit of the Americas this weekend and had so much fun walking around and shooting a bunch of cars. I even got a couple panning shots in which are half decent considering I shot them with a 35mm camera. Thanks to 42+ megapixels I can crop in quite a bit and still have a pretty high resolution image. Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience with this lovely little camera and share a bunch of photos I took at the race.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 2