Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
I love having the hot spot in the car it's so easy, but I used 3 gigs in I guess 35 days and I believe it's $25 per 3 gigs if I renew after trial. My work pays for hot spot but I like the ease of it just being on in the car. Strange they lock it down to a specific carrier
If you're an at&t customer it's $20/unlimited/month. However in at&t fashion unlimited means 22GB/mo then they throttle you. And I can tell you from experience they tend to throttle hard! It's not terribly difficult to use 22GB/month with kids on tablets or a laptop that's on the net.

For non at&t customers it's $25/unlimited/month. Same throttling rules apply.

I understand why BMW does this exclusive deal. Very likely at&t in exchange gives BMW free or super cheap data usage of at&t network for sending map updates, traffic data, etc. It's also likely at&t gives BMW kickbacks to offset the cost of the wifi Hotspot hardware.

That said, at&t usually has the slowest LTE in my area. They're too busy marketing their 5Ge nonsense. Ho hum.
5Ge is really called LTE Evolution. It is enhanced 4G LTE, but only in select markets like Houston. It is misleading for sure. And using 22GB in one month is your car's hotspot would be impressive. All carriers use QoS to slow down traffic after a certain threshold.

When 5G goes mainstream it will be more expensive and you won't see unlimited data plans for quite some time. Additionally iPhones won't have a 5G modem until 2020 or 2021 - especially after the Qualcomm fallout.

Personally I like AT&T better than Verizon.
Actually it's called LTE Advanced. And it's still a lie for at&t to even try to classify LTE-A as 5G in any way shape or form.

3GPP created LTE Advanced in 2009 well before 5G was anything more than a buzzword. LTE-A includes MIMO, 4x4 carrier aggregation and 256 qam. Everything used by the majors today including at&t. Meanwhile try to find places where at&t will actually use 4x4 CA. Few! Nevertheless, it's a 4G technology.

LTE Advanced Pro one can argue includes some 5G technologies. However at&t LTE network doesn't include Pro technologies.

At&t is the Mis-leader in wireless.
https://www.att.com/5g/consumer/5g-evolution
Like I said, a made up at&t marketing term. Don't get sucked up in their lies. Or do you work for them? In which case I understand your support.

3GPP is the standards body for mobile telephony. If they didn't create it, it doesn't exist.