TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Those are actually all good ideas.

I've always wanted a dash cam and like the idea of it, until I got a 3 way unit professionally installed on my X5M last year. It started throwing codes every time I would start the truck up saying unusual battery drain. If the truck was parked for longer than 3-4 hours it would throw that code. So I got them uninstalled and even though I got the refund on the camera unit itself, lost out on the installation costs. Since then I haven't bothered getting it on my cars. I even had a transformer or whatever they are called that are supposed to manage the battery.

Plus, it was sort of a freak thing that both vehicles had this happened to them. They don't travel in same circles so I do not think it was the same person. Always stored in garages as well, never parked outside. The Bimmer I think happened at a movie theatre parking when I was inside watching a movie. I always do a walk around the vehicle before getting in and noticed this on the walk around after coming out.

I did that in the past with my 350Z. Essentially got hit in the front and took that as an excuse to modify the crap out of the front end. Lots of carbon fibre goodies, aftermarket bumper etc. Unfortunately I don't plan on doing anything to the Bimmer as it is a lease so kinda sucks.

Not sure if it's a big enough claim to go through insurance plus I don't want it to impact my clean record. May call them to inquire if vandalism claims impact my record and premium or not. Anyway, it is what it is I guess. Just a stated of mind. Us OCD guys are super anal retentive about stuff like this while other couldn't care less. I am hoping that with time I forget about it and it starts hurting less and less. Hahaha.

Sometimes i wait a few months to take on more possible damage or sometimes instantly fix it. You could try to get creative about it even though its a lease. I am also leasing but getting parts that i can sell after and getting all replica this time around for the hell of it. on my current f32 i swear a car wash curbed my sides a month into me having the car. It killed me. Paid $350 instantly to have it painted and then the paint job had a bubble so i just added the m performance vinyl to it as a result.

Be careful about calling the insurance though if you find its not expensive enough from your quotes. I once had all my tires slashed in college in the regular parking, just called insurance to see what could be done out of curiosity, and they ruled it during a "riot", and even though I paid for it out of my pocket they raised my rates due to me even being there.. god forbid i have my car.. at school.

BMW should sell paint and rim warranties for people like us. Would only help them at the end anyhow after you return your lease.
Appreciate 1
ksa1068.00