ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Ok. Offer one solution. To any problem. One. Go.
My son isn't doing his homework.

Do I:

a) call him a lazy dummy

or

b) tell him I am here if you need help with homework. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, my job as a parent is to help you. I asked for help, and your mom asked for help when we were your age.

I know where you are going with this.

"Telling me I need help is shaming!!!"

I get it. We are all sick of that, but what is important is that we separate actual shaming from being accused of shaming. #2 isn't actually shaming, it's just that people are sensitive and it's a defense mechanism. I totally get the frustration. We can't really control how other people react to us, all we can control is how we act.

When I say I can't condone shaming, I'm saying we shouldn't be telling obese people

"You are a fat POS and a burden on health care. You need to work out".

That is not a discussion. That is an accusation, and a demand for action.

Instead we should be saying:

"Obesity is a risk factor for heart disease. If you want to lose weight, there are ways to do it and we/I can help."

It won't always be successful, and we could be falsely accused of shaming, but it hopefully promotes discussion more times than the other method. And at least we know in our hearts we didn't shame them.
I would choose option #2 and if he doesn't comply, I would whoop his ass... but again; I am old school and we can't do that anymore either... which is why you see things on social media like you do.

...ps... I am only 33... back in my day, when I was on the shores of Normandy...😂