12-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #14
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I dunno I feel like once demand begins to fizzle out, the prices will begin to normalize as well. Currently there's pent up demand because people weren't buying as many cars in 2020 (supply was equally diminished of course so that's why we didn't see crazy discounts in 2020). So all those people who didn't purchase cars in 2020 are now purchasing cars in 2021 - supply is still low, so dealers have the luxury of charging pretty much what they want.

There's another issue that I'd have to consider. If I order a car now, it'll be several months before it's delivered. That gap in months (where I would need to keep my car because.... I need a car) would expose me to risk. If I get into a car accident between now and when I'm supposed to take delivery of the new car, even a fender bender, that'll diminish the resale value of the car. I have PTSD because this exact scenario happened when we had ordered our X5... literally a month before delivery my wife got into a fender bender in the RX and that knocked $1k off the resale value.
Hope your wife is ok. Stressful even on benders. $1k for a bender seems a lot. My dealer keeps saying for all my traders don't drive much, lol. An accident will reduce value by 30%. The beauty of leasing.

My insurer use to offer 5 yr replacement cost insurance. Now only three years.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00