11-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
dolby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
announcement.

you can get a fixed-lens Scarlet (with its Zoom lens) with the kit to make it all work, for about $9k-$10k. but this is a 2/3" sensor (Panasonic HVX?), not full-size motion-35mm size (movie film), and not full-frame still-35mm size (D3, 5Dmk2).

however, you get unsurpassed-image quality in motion-RAW format.
The image circle of the HVX is 1/3" Ths scarlet 2/3's sensor is more like a Varicam which is still less than half that of the Red One.

I hate that progress on the Scarlet and Epic are so slow. I put a deposit down on Red One a couple of years ago and while waiting red announced the Scarlet. So I figured I would wait for the Scarlet S35 or FF..and I waited.

Then last year I picked up one of the first 5DmkII's and after using it on a few shoots, I made it my first pick for my productions. The only light my HPX-500 ever gets now is the occasional rental.

I am now wondering if Red will ever release the Scarlet. 2 years and not even a working prototype? Canon is now rumored to have a EOS sensor in a XL2 style body by the spring and if they do, I will certainly pick that up. I hear it might even shoot raw as well.

I really would like to have the Red Scarlett if it comes to life with the specs they are promising. The name alone would make my work easier considering now explaining to clients that I'm going to shoot their TV spot on a still camera.

dolby
- 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Blk on Blk mDCT
- 1987 E30 325is - track car conversion in progress
Appreciate 0