Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up Detailing .... Fanatical !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
I am fanatical about car detailing so that this with that understanding:

1) I have my dealer omit any prep except required mechanical checks. They don't wash it or take off the plastic or cardboard or .... anything.

2) The main goal when washing a car is to avoid scratching it. This is particularly true for new cars. I find this method works pretty well:

.... remove any exterior plastic sheeting, being careful to avoid rubbing the plastic against the paint as you remove it.

.... spray the car at a do it yourself wand style car wash. Include the undercarriage and wheel wells. Keep the want 18 inches from the car. Use the no spot rinse at the end. Don't dry the car because there is still a lot of small dirt on the surface.

.... take the car home and use a boar's hair brush and lots of water from a hose - hose in one hand and brush in the other - continuously spray the are you are brushing. Of course, start at the top and go around and down.

.... using the boar's hair brush and a bucket of water with some Dawn in it. The Dawn will take care of any grease or oil.

.... still don't dry the car.

.... use a good quality mild clay bar and a detailer like Griot's Speed Shine. Clay the entire car, including the windows. Turn the clay frequently.

.... use a glass polish (like Griot's) on the exterior glass.

.... final wash with the boar's hair brush and a microfiber wash cloth in the areas where the boar's hair brush does not work (like around the side mirrors).

.... ok, now you can dry it for the first time - use microfiber towels.

.... use your hand to feel every inch of the car. You will probably still find a few tiny particles - remove them with clay.

.... examine the car for any small scratches - polish them out with Meguire's Ultimate Compound followed by Meguires Ultimate Polish.

.... apply a base coat of Nu-Finish. Let it dry for an hour before removing with a microfiber cloth.

.... apply a coat of Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax - let dry four hours before removing with a microfiber cloth. Do it again.

Ok --- now to the interior and engine compartment............

Tom
WOW !! ..... Post Edit: this is Fanatical !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I want to be as dedicated to detailing as TEAShea but I am afraid I'd screw it up. I wonder if the degree to which the car's finish is preserved is congruent to the extra effort put in.
I too want to be as "dedicated" (for lack of better word) to detailing as TEAShea but i am afraid to be losing my entire weekend, every other weekend... my girlfriend not going to be too happy about the attention i would give to the car in that situation...

If such a wash program is required, i think i am just going to pay someone do it for me... (ensuring first that they have the upmost detailing standard as possible... and that's going to be tough to trust/pay someone else do it...! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post

I'll just point out, to the unaware, that if you use Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean your car, it will also strip the wax off your car. Make sure that's what you want. Otherwise, use a good quality detergent made specifically for cars.
Thanks for the tips! Dawn dishwashing too good for cleaning huh !

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Why wait so long ?
Factory paint ( called OEM paint in the industry) is fully cured on leaving the factory
Yes, i know the OEM paint is fully cured by the time i get the car at re-delivery.

But JoeyO just confirmed my original thoughts, with his first tip below:
And Unless proven otherwise wrong, I want to let the OEM/dealership wax (if any at all) stand with the car as long as possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
These are my thoughts:

- the factory wax is perhaps the best wax your car will ever see, so don't be too anxious to wash, polish or wax your car during its first or even second year.
- every time you wash you car, you remove a little bit of wax
- always check the weather report before washing your car. It will help avoid frequent waxing and extends your "clean car days".This all helps keep your wax on your car.
- never take your car to an automatic car wash
- be careful even at the do-it-yourself car washes. The high powered spray can stip wax also. If you must, get the spray wand as far as away as possible
- you can blindly trust Mcquires or Mothers products. All other products are not to be trusted unless you read many forums members swear by some other product. In other words, don' t let your car be the guinea pig. Stay away from anything by Turtle Wax or Armour All.
- you can never put too much wax on high wear areas such as the leading edge of the hood, side mirrors, and around driver-side door handle.
- if you drop a sponge, rag, cloth on h ground, discard it.
- don't wash you car with dirty bucket water
- wash your wheels as a last step because the bucket water will get very dirty
- yes, unfortunately you have to hand wash each wheel spoke individually. This sometimes will take up 50% of your car washing time.
- an auto enthusiast doesn't allow any other person to touch, wash, or wax his car.
Every single tips you give confirms what i already know!
Thanks for putting them into words!
I absolutely respect the "wash your wheels last" everytime i wash my car.
it just makes sense, with all the brake dust down there, you just dont want to spread it all over your brand new car's body...

Well, i guess i will have many chances to put all the rules from this thread into practice during my Euro Delivery next months....

At least once for the car Drop-Off, and even before that during/along my travel to keep the car clean for the photo shots! :P

I will get some dirty pictures too

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 03-25-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0