04-29-2024, 05:29 PM   #8
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Not good. How many miles?

Over here, my local BMW shop (indy performance/race shop) strongly advised against getting these engines in any form. IDK what it is with BMW and V8s.
Approximately 30,000.

Yeah, I get that take. The V8s certainly aren't for everyone.

Some in the industry will develop strong negative feelings for any engine or car that ever gave them a hard time. My negative feelings are associated more with owners who don't understand or care for their cars.

In my experience a V8 beyond the first gen N63/S63 is totally manageable. I personally wouldn't hesitate to own a well maintained N63TU or newer V8. The V8s certainly come with more to care for, but that is the nature of additional cylinders and an extra engine bank.

For example, this fuel leak doesn't necessarily have to do with a V8 or I4/I6. Rather, the manufacturer who is producing these fuel rails for BMW. Likely Bosch. This type of fuel rail construction is very common across countless makes and models of direct injection engines.

Above all, I am just hoping this fuel leak is an isolated incident.

PSA: If you ever smell raw fuel while driving any modern car, shut it down immediately. With modern closed EVAP and emission control systems, a raw fuel smell is a failure somewhere and you are possibly at risk of fire. When I brought it up, this customer thought nothing was unusual about the intense fumes. Maybe cars just smell like gas, as if the M850i were a car from the 70s with a vented fuel tank and a carburetor.
Appreciate 1
Gautam622.50