View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #47
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Some companies are collecting data on us, even when they don't have a specific need to at the moment. They see the potential value in it and are willing to implement the infrastructure to collect and store it for future use, or sale. Personally, I find it a major invasion of privacy. I'm sure I've signed plenty of TOSs without reading them thoroughly and gave consent...all for the "convenience" or "service" that product provided me. Ever download an app and it asks for permission to access your phones mic and camera, even when the use of that app does not require those components of your device? I had one ask for those and it specifically included access to the photo gallery on my phone...the app had zero to do with photos. Why do they want to see my photos? How about for tracking purposes? Photos include time, date and GPS coordinates and with face recognition software, a photo could be used to identify individuals in specific places and at specific times...no, thank you.
You're assuming all apps are asking you permission to access other data which it doesn't need to do its primary function. And even if you say no to the pop up asking for permission to access specific things on your phone, you're just trusting that the developer is keeping their word.

That's why I brought up GDPR twice in this thread. The law was put out in Europe to establish rights of the individual in controlling how their own personal information is being access, used, and handled. That's why we need such a law here as companies have shown that they have zero regard over our data and will exploit it to only benefit them. All I need to do is point to the Equifax debacle as something that affected huge slews of people. And none of us had any say over how our own personal data is being protected or used.
Appreciate 0