View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #22
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Well, I just installed the FTP intake pipe on my car as well in preparation for the charge pipe and the Bootmod3. Thought I'd post some pics and the highlights because as far as I could tell there's nothing exactly matching the install for a G30 B58. There's a couple of minor differences in how to connect things. Anyway, hope it helps others tempted to do the same.

First up - the pipe itself, seems top notch quality. Everything is formed and welded properly, main seal looks excellent and everything is nicely powder coated. You get the silicone coupler sleeve for the filter and there's a barb already fitted on one side in machined alloy with appropriate clamps for the sensor piping etc.

I won't bore people to death with fitting instructions. Let's just say - it's a relatively simple job, partly daunting if you haven't pulled anything off your high priced 5 series before, but if you're generally competent and mechanically minded, there's nothing here that should scare you away from attempting an install yourself.

I already had the BMS filter from burger, so the top of the airbox was already gone, but firstly you will want to remove the entire fresh air housing. Undo the required screws and the intake filter components, then pull firmly upwards to release the housing. It's tricky to get it out in one go (like you see on the M340 or Supra installs). There's a frontal connection, but worse if the clearance to the bracing, plus there's that resonator box. I undid the resonator first. It comes out cleanly same way (just pull up).

Anyway, once you have that out, the next tricky part is undoing the pipes for sensor etc. There's two points you need to worry about (one mid way on the pipe leading towards the charge pipe side, the other is right down near the turbo inlet). The one on the right is easy to get to, but the lower one, there's no hope whilst the inlet is still on the car. The M430 or Supra don't seem to have that same pipe but on the G30 it leads back up to the top of the motor, plus it's got what seems like a pressure or temp sensor built into it (I've pointed out the part in one of the pics). Take it off from top of the motor (easy) and then keep it attached. I disconnected the wires from the sensor and removed it once I had the intake pipe out completely. You'll need a small tool or set of bent tip pliers to take that bottom sensor and hose out.

Just as a side-note, I noticed a fair bit of grit on the pipe connector once I had it out. Luckily it all appeared to be on the outside of the seal, but make sure you give it a good clean rather than running the risk of ingesting grit into the turbo inlet.

Anyway, the other frustratingly difficult part to get to is the clip holding the pipe onto the turbo inlet. You will need to get a small pick or similar to unlatch it. Once that's gone you can pull everything out easy enough.

Assembly is reverse and straight forward. Wrestling the fresh air intake box into position is about the most difficult part. If I had to do it again, I'd be inclined to take the bracing strut out on that side for clearer access. Anyway, everything looks and feels a lot more solid (as you'd expect). I'm getting the charge pipe done in a few weeks, when the guys are fitting the high flow downpipe.
Attached Images

Last edited by DBO; 09-21-2020 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 4